Tips on Watering Trees
How much do I water my trees?
How much water should I use when watering?
- Water trees at a slower rate at the base of plants to give them a deep soak that is much needed during hotter temperatures.
- Avoid watering frequently and at shorter intervals.
- Water trees in the morning to avoid water loss due to evaporation and to help trees deal with the heat of the sun throughout the day.
- Newly planted trees should be watched closely the first few months after being planted.
- The amount of water needed to water your tree is difficult to calculate. Most newly planted trees will benefit with a thorough soaking 2-3 days per week for the first few weeks, depending on rainfall, wind and soil temperature. Poor soils that contain clay do not drain well, therefore need to be watched for overwatering as well.
- The top few inches of soil should dry out in between watering cycles.
- Never rely on lawn irrigation as a source of water, this process waters the trees at a shallow depth and does not give the roots a deep soak.
Call us for any questions you may have!